Michaels Ave
Pavilion Project





ESC Clubrooms Appeal  

We are still trying to raise funding to complete the project - find out more by clicking the above button

Member Login

Covid-19 Updates

During this period we want to keep you as up to date with how Covid-19 is effecting Football and sports in general - please see below for our latest update.




Covid-19 football update (sent to all members via email on the 13th of August)


Dear Ellerslie Club Members,


The club has received the information below from Northern Region Football which advises that all matches for this weekend are postponed / cancelled, which includes the Ellerslie AFC Tamaki League fixtures held at Michaels Ave Reserve.




Take care and keep safe,

From the Team at Ellerslie Football Club


To: All Auckland Clubs and Match Officials


Further to our communication of yesterday evening and the Prime Minister’s Press Conference held at 1pm on Thursday, Auckland remains at Covid-19 Alert Level 3 and organised sports or physical activity is not allowed outside your bubble, as per Sport NZ Guidelines.


Based on the information provided by the Prime Minister and Dr Ashley Bloomfield that the number of cases in Auckland has increased, NRF have taken the proactive decision to postpone all Football and Futsal, including First Kicks, Fun Football and all inhouse activities, in the Auckland region until further notice. Football and Futsal in Northland can still proceed under Level 2 status at this time and NRF staff are working with clubs on how this might be delivered with confirmation to follow.


The decision for the Auckland region has been made now to provide clarity for our members as early as possible ahead of this weekend and ease any possible burden which would be placed at short notice on club volunteers regarding compliance in managing gathering sizes allowable under lower Alert Level requirements should they occur.


At this time the health and well-being of the wider community is paramount, and we must play our part to minimise exposure to Covid-19.


We will continue to monitor developments and will provide a further update in line with Government Alert Level updates.


Stay safe and stay connected.


Ngā mihi,


John Limna

NRF General Manager


UPDATE emailed to all members on 24th May

Over the last couple of weeks our committees have been working hard to plan for our teams to get back to training within the requirements set by the Ministry of Health (MOH), Sport New Zealand and Auckland Football Football Federation (AFF). Our Return To Train Protocols (RTT Protocols) were signed off by AFF and Auckland Council this week and we ran a successful trial of our RTT Protocols during a recent junior and youth teams training session.

Request a training day and venue

We are now planning for a return to training for all our teams. We've sent a training request form to all coaches and managers (or to the whole team where no coach or manager has been advised) to be completed with the preferred training day, time and venue.

When will the season start?

We don't yet have a date for the start of season. We will be guided by AFF and MOH as the controls for Alert Level 2 are updated. What we do know is that by all of us following our RTT Protocols that we will be in the best position possible to kick-off once we have a start date.

What you need to know to prepare for training

Contact tracing with iDMe

NZ Football has asked all clubs to use the iDMe app to manage contact tracing for every football activity. Everyone, including players, coaches, managers, referees, support staff and spectators, must check-in to training sessions and games at Ellerslie AFC using iDMe.

The app is easy to use and allows you to quickly register you and your family at each EAFC venue. Follow the instructions and video on our website to set up iDMe and learn how to check-in.

Preparing for training checklist

We have prepared checklists - one for coaches, one for players and one for parents and caregivers. Each checklist outlines the actions we all need to take to safely train and play this season.

We've attached the checklists to this mail and they're also available on the EAFC 'Return to play' web page. Please take some time to read the checklist relevant to you and make sure:

  • your child understands how to follow the player's checklist
  • your team has planned how training sessions will run under the current alert level conditions

What you need to do to prepare for training and play.

We're in this together

Our committees will continue to do everything needed to get more than 1,400 players safely back on the field. What we ask of our members in return, is that you all support our RTT Protocols so we can have all our junior and youth members back training and playing soon.


(posted on Facebook on the 21st May)



Great news - we have had our "Return to Play" plan signed off by

Auckland Football Federation


Auckland Council


Our plan calls for a staggered approach to getting back to training, so based on that we have organised a small group of teams to start training tonight on the grass at Michaels Ave.

There will be some other teams who will training on the weekend as part of this staggered approach.

All the teams who are part of this early rollout have been contacted by the club and have been inducted with the details of our Return to Play plan.

If there are no issues tonight and over the weekend our plan calls for a complete rollout for the club over the next couple of weeks while we sort out training allocations and training gear.

FYI - The Turf at Michaels Ave remains closed while we work through a plan to make this safe to practice on.

Any questions please send the club an email on info@ellersliefootball.org.nz




Preparing for training and play under Alert Level 2

(sent to membership on the 17th May via email)


Hi everyone,

We hope you're all keeping well and enjoying seeing wider family and friends now lockdown has ended.

Unfortunately, even though we are now in Alert Level 2 this does not mean that team trainings can take place yet. Teams will have to wait a little bit longer before they can get together.

Access to sports fields and equipment

Please see the attached update. Please note we are in the Get Ready phase and the Artificial Turf and Training Turf remain closed, and our club equipment still cannot be used. We will update you as soon as this changes.

Training and playing dates

The Auckland Football Federation (AFF) is working on a 'return to training and play' plan for all the clubs in its region. As soon as we receive this information from the AFF we'll send you the dates your team can get back out on the field.

Taking care of our players

The AFF has provided us with an extensive set of requirements we must meet to safely return teams to training and play. The Club is working hard to meet a checklist which includes contact tracing, training bubbles (a maximum of 10 people in a bubble including coaches), equipment cleaning, hygiene measures, logging the arrival and departure of training bubbles, and the use of changing rooms to name a few.

We must submit the checklist and a declaration signed by the Club for approval by the AFF before any training can take place.

Thanks to Westferry Property Services

A huge thank you to Dominic Drumm of Westferry Property Services. Westferry specialise in providing cleaning equipment and services and Dominic has offered to assist us with our plan for equipment cleaning. He has also very generously donated the necessary cleaning products to the Club.

Having Dominic onboard with his expertise knowledge and his kind donation is a huge assistance to us. Not only is Westferry a local Ellerslie business, but Dominic has also been a part of the Club for a number of years with all his children having played through us. Once again, thanks Dom, we are very grateful!

Fees this season

Until we know what the season will look like we are not able to advise what level of refund we can provide members, but we wish to assure you that we will be offering some form of refund once the amount can be established for each age grade.

To be fair on all those members who have already paid their fees, we will be enforcing our "no pay, no play" policy. This means that once we have a return to train and a return to play date we will be requiring all members to have paid their membership fees.

While we don't yet have a deadline date for payment of fees, we wanted to give our members advance notice so you can prepare.

In relation to Academy fees, Player Development Programme fees and Talent Fees, we will be sending out information directly to those groups in the coming weeks.

Free online coaching course

Our Coaching Director, Ryan Shiffman, is holding a free introduction to coaching course via Zoom for anyone interested in coaching a junior and youth team. Please email Ryan at the address below to register for this course.

Introduction to coaching: Getting started

Keeping you updated

We will update our members once we have more information on when trainings can resume, but in the meantime we will update our website and Facebook page with other essential information as it comes to hand.


The team at Ellerslie AFC




(sent to membership on the 02nd May via email)


Hi everyone,



We have received a number of messages from neighbours and members of the public that there has been an increase in activity this week of people training and/or playing together from different “bubbles” both on the artificial turf and grass fields, and using our club equipment. We have also been advised that the Police were called to the fields last evening due to the number of groups at Michaels Ave.


While we realise that most of our members have been adhering to the rules, and thank all those people who have, just a reminder to those who may not be aware of the rules for contact sport during Alert Level 3:


1. Alert Level 3 is very similar to Alert Level 4 when it comes to football.

2. Council has closed the artificial turf and training turf and these areas will remain closed throughout Alert Level 3.

3. While the grass fields are open, you must only train with other people in your bubble.

4. The equipment in the cage outside the Hub office cannot be used during Alert Level 3.

5. Please remember, your actions while using the facilities at Michaels Ave reflect on the Club, and we would ask our members to ensure they are following Alert Level 3 guidelines while at the fields.


We are hoping that once we get to Alert Level 2 some training will be able to start and, while we wait for more guidelines on how sport will look at Level 2, we are working on plans to try and make trainings happen safely..... so stay tuned!


In the meantime, stay safe and keep practicing close to home with people in your bubble.


Covid-19 Update re Club Operations - 16 April 2020

Dear Members
I trust that you and your families are all coping in your bubbles, and are finding new and interesting activities to keep everyone in your households busy and safe.
Thought it is timely to provide you all with an update on the footballing landscape , and how your Club plans to navigate its way through the myriad of scenarios being discussed at Government and Regional levels.

Some points to consider:

1. We remain in the hands of Government in terms of when Alert Level 4 is cancelled, and what the subsequent Alert Levels 3 and 2 look like in terms of ability to participate in footballing activities. NZF/AFF have planned for a number of scenarios relative to possible competition structures at each Alert level, but they remain in limbo until that decision is made, which we believe will be in mid-late May.

2. Independent of any competition structures, the Club’s Academy and PDP programmes still remain on hold and are dependent on the rules surrounding Level 2/3 lockdowns respectively.

3. In the interim, the Club’s Coaching Dept has launched an “At Home Challenges” programme which is proving popular, and NZ Football have implemented a “Home Training Programme”. I would encourage you to take advantage of the skill development initiatives outlined therein.

4. A significant amount of cost was incurred by the Club in establishing teams etc in anticipation of a season start, including the purchase of gear and equipment, together with payment of a significant level of season fees to AFF/NZF.

5. As with many other sporting organizations in the country, our Club relies substantially on subscription income to operate and effectively survive . As a result of the Covid-19 lockdown, we are waiting in anticipation to hear the final outcome of a further Government initiative directed at supporting Community Sports Clubs, in a financial sense, such as ours. This is due within days.

6. With these issues in mind, I would like to reiterate our previous decision that with the exception of the April School Holiday programme that did not run, the Club is not able to offer membership subscription refunds and/or Academy/PDP fees (in part or whole) to its members at this time. The funding of costs incurred as per 4. above have taken up a substantial amount of the fees received to date. Your Executive Committee will meet once the government determines the nature and extent of any reduced Alert Level, and NZF/AFF can provide a clear direction as to what the balance of the 2020 season will look like. This, along with financial commitments already made, will form the basis for any final decision by the Club on any potential Covid-19 related refund policy.

7. As soon as we have some clear direction from our governing bodies, we will be back in touch with you all. In the interim, you can continue to keep updated with information on our Facebook page, accessed through our website.

As always, please stay safe, keep your social distancing but keep practicing those footballing skills.
Your club is primarily focused on finding ways and means to still provide a great footballing
experience for you and yours this season.

Mark B. Weipers